There are several different types of laser treatment available including Greenlight laser PVP (Photoselective vaporisation of the prostate), Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) and the Thalium laser which may be used to vaporise or enucleate. We are very experienced using the Greenlight laser, having performed more than 1500 cases over the last 10 years or more.
2016 was a great year for the Greenlight Laser treatment as NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) recommended Greenlight to the NHS as the gold standard for treating BPH. Read more details of the coverage in our news section
Greenlight laser PVP is usually performed under a general anaesthetic and involves a sheath and telescope being passed down the water pipe (urethra) to the prostate. A laser fibre is then passed down the sheath and the laser energy delivered under direct vision, to vaporise away prostate tissue to create a wide passage through the prostate.
The specific advantages of utilizing laser energy rather than a traditional electrosurgical TURP are:
- A decrease in the relative blood loss during the procedure, eliminating the risk of blood transfusion
- Significant decrease in the risk of post-TURP hyponatremia (low sodium level)
- The ability to treat very large prostate glands
- Being able to treat patients who are actively being treated with anti-coagulation therapy for unrelated illnesses
- Much quicker removal of urinary catheter (drainage tube) – usually overnight
- Much shorter hospital stay – day-case or single night stay in hospital
A recentmuticentred pan-European study ofgreenlight laser treatment compared toTURP concluded that
'Follow-up at one year demonstrates that photoselective vaporization of the prostate produced similar effectiveness outcomes compared to TURP. The complication-free rates and overall reintervention rates were comparable between treatment groups'.
Laser procedures are now the most common surgeries performed for symptomatic BPH in the U.S where Greenlight laser PVP is the market leader.
Click Greenlight Laser for a video of the procedure and for more information please visit our website dedicated to Greenlight Laser Surgery,